Ubuntu Intrepid kernel update

I read that Linux kernel v. 2.6.28, Torvald's Christmass present to the people (heh) had several nice improvements, the most appealing to me being the new graphics thingy (yes I know THAT much), the Graphics Execution Manager. I wanted to see if it would improve the graphics response around the interface. And it DID! :D But I had to install the latest nVidia drivers (180.x) to get the kernel to work allright. So I guess the result is a combination of the drivers and the kernel.

So, I thought of patching the 2.6.27 kernel manually, which I didn't, hopefully. I risked using some of Jaunty's repositories to install only what I needed (that was, all the required .28 kernel files plus the latest gfx-nvidia drivers) and It all went fine. I removed the repositories immediately after. I think it worthed it.

No comments: